Appendix F: MS Summary Document
MS sequence: Stay on target to meet your BME degree requirements
1st Term Here
Learn Important Dates, Deadlines & Credit Minima: https://gradsch.osu.edu/handbook/3-1-registration-course-load
- AVOID late fees by knowing how many credits to add and when http://registrar.osu.edu/registration/
- Deadlines for graduation, oral exam, and dissertation on Graduate School site: https://gradsch.osu.edu/calendar.
- Student Accountability: All students are responsible for learning policies/deadlines per BME and Graduate Student Handbooks (BMEH & GSH) https://bme.osu.edu/biomedical-engineering-graduate-student-handbook
- Students must consult once per semester with BME Core Faculty Advisor: a great resource for advice on arrangement & sequencing of courses, committee formation, oral exam tips, career exploration, department culture/protocols, & more.
- Watch for and read BME graduate student listserve emails from Senitko.1. Contact ETS if you are not receiving emails.
2nd Term Here
Get your Program of Study (PoS) approved by the BME Graduate Studies Committee
- Program of Study should be submitted to Grad Studies Coordinator as early as possible to allow for revisions if necessary.
- Must be BMEGSC-approved prior to end of your 2nd Autumn to avoid graduation delays.
- Program of Study must be signed by advisor & MS committee members before BMEGSC-review.
- BMEGSC meets roughly once per month. Students are responsible for making requests for the agenda EARLY
- MS Committees are approved with program, consisting of Advisor (Level M or P in BME) and at least one other graduate faculty member (Level M or P in Graduate School). These are the 2 faculty who evaluate and approve MS Exam Report Forms for the thesis & defense OR for the non-thesis MS culminating experience, via gradforms.osu.edu.
Application to Graduate
Graduate School DEADLINES: https://gradsch.osu.edu/calendar
Submit Application via gradforms.osu.edu before the 1st day of the term in which you plan to graduate.
Be sure your advisor approves it online. We must do a degree audit and get the signature of the BMEGSC Chair before the Graduate School can accept it. Applications may NOT be signed if Programs of Study are submitted past deadline.
Helpful checklists at https://gradsch.osu.edu/completing-your-degree
Final MS Exam (AKA Thesis Defense -or- Final Non-Thesis Project wrap-up)
STUDENTS must coordinate with MS committee to build in time to meet Graduate School deadlines for exams, documents, and final projects.
- Scheduled by student with permission of MS Committee members, careful to meet Graduate School exam deadlines.
- MS Examination Report and/or Thesis Approval forms will be generated for MS committee members via gradforms.osu.edu. MS Exam Report Forms must be submitted by MS committee members by deadlines: https://gradsch.osu.edu/calendar. For thesis MS, it reflects the defense; for non-thesis MS, the culminating experience.
- For policies and checklists on exams, thesis formatting, graduate school review, electronic submission, please revie GSH: http://www.gradsch.osu.edu/graduate-school-handbook1.html
- Details on commencement will be sent by the Graduate School.
- Thesis-MS students: Did you do this? Submission of one (1) manuscript for publication in recognized scientific journals OR presentation of at least one (1) oral or poster presentation at a regional, national, or international meeting.
- The BMEGSC meets roughly once per month. Students are responsible for getting on the agenda early in case of postponement.
- Always use your buckeyemail.osu.edu email address for all academic and university business.
- If BME and GS Handbooks do not address your questions, please consult your Core Faculty Advisor, Graduate Studies Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Graduate Studies Chair.
- The BMEGSC is happy to help make decisions and recommendations for students with special requests or questions. Tips for submitting BMEGSC requests can be found in the in BME Handbook.