B. Rita Alevriadou
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor, Cardiovascular Medicine
1080 Carmack Road
Columbus, OH 43210
You can view Dr. Alevriadou's latest published works (Scholarly Presentations, Chapters in Edited Books, Journal Articles) and other information in here: https://osu.researchinview.thomsonreuters.com/profile/the-ohio-state-university/b-rita-alevriadou-phd/94845
PhD, Chemical Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1992
MS, Chemical Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1989
BS, Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece, 1986
Dr. Alevriadou received her PhD in Chemical Engineering (Bioengineering & Biosciences Institute) from Rice University, Houston, TX in 1992. Following postdoctoral training in the Department of Molecular & Experimental Medicine of the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, she joined the BME Department of the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, as Assistant Professor. In 2003, she joined the BME Center (since 2008, Department) and Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute at OSU, as Associate Professor of BME and Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. Dr. Alevriadou’s expertise lies in vascular bioengineering, vascular endothelial mechanotransduction, free radicals, mitochondrial biology; in general, understanding the role of the mechanochemical environment on molecular mechanisms of cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis, ischemia/reperfusion injury, inflammation, thrombosis). Her research is/has been supported by the NIH and American Heart Association (AHA). She is a member of the Biomedical Sciences and Biophysics Graduate Programs and the Center for Regenerative Medicine & Cell-Based Therapies. At the national level, she is a member of the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES; elected member of its Board of Directors, and of its Student Affairs and Diversity Committees, 2014-17), Society for Free Radical Biology & Medicine (SFRBM), North American Vascular Biology Organization (NAVBO) and AHA. She regularly reviews for federal and local funding agencies (NIH, AHA, NSF) and for biomedical journals, and has been a member of the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology since 2002.
Vascular Mechanotransduction & Oxidative Stress (VMOS) Laboratory
To read about some of the research in the VMOS lab, click on: RESEARCH IN VMOS LAB.pdf
Currently, the VMOS lab is working on 3 projects:
- Autophagy in endothelial cells under (chemical and/or mechanical) oxidative stress
- Experimental/mathematical study on calcium homeostasis in sheared endothelial cells (role of mitochondria/ER)
- Hemolysis-driven endothelial dysfunction due to blood transfusion and ECMO
List of Dr. Alevriadou’s past graduate students and postdocs (with current positions); the list excludes undergraduate students, rotating graduate students, and summer MD students:
- Trevor C. Huang, PhD (Sr. Product Development Manager, Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, MN)
- Dionne A. Graham, MS (Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA)
- Young J. Park, MS (Attorney, Paul Hastings, New York, NY)
- Monica T. Hinds, PhD (Associate Professor, BME, Oregon Health & Science University, Beaverton, OR)
- Daniela K. Zablocki, MS (Staff, Cardiovascular Research Institute, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ)
- Li-Hong (Paul) Yeh, PhD (Regulatory Affairs Specialist, Banner Pharmacaps Inc., Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC)
- David M. Wootton, PhD (Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Center for BME, Cooper Union, New York, NY)
- C.-K. Domingos Ng, MS (Principal Research Associate, Genentech, Inc., San Francisco, CA)
- Jered B. Haun, MS (Assistant Professor, BME, UC Irvine, Irvine, CA)
- Sergio F. Martin, PhD (Staff, Brain Dynamics SL, Malaga, Spain)
- Charles I. Jones III, MS (Orthopedic Surgeon, Mercy Clinic, Rogers, AR)
- Zhaosheng (John) Han, PhD (Staff, XiangXue Life Sciences Ltd., Guangzhou, China)
- Valerie K. Galbraith, MS (Associate Clinical Project Manager, Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Washington, DC)
- Arden C. Santoso, MS (Staff, Materialise US, Plymouth, MI)
- Randy J. Giedt, PhD (Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA)
- Devi M. Nair, PhD (Postdoctoral Fellow, OSU James Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH)
- Christopher G. Scheitlin, PhD (Senior Test Engineer, Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives Defense Group at Battelle, Columbus, OH)
Grant-In-Aid (GIA) Award.
Elected Member, Board of Directors (also Member of the Student Affairs Committee and the Diversity Committee).
STAR Reviewer, selected by the Editors of the American Physiological Society (APS) journals.
Certificate of Recognition for dedication and volunteerism.
Invited speaker, Klassen Research Day.
Invited speaker, Mathematical Biosciences Institute.
Chair, College of Engineering Committee on the Responsible Contact of Research.
Invited speaker, Life Sciences Division.
Invited speaker, Center for Regenerative Medicine 2nd Annual Retreat.
Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award (R21).
Invited speaker, Cardiovascular Research Center.
Invited Big 10 speaker, BME Department.
OSU Nominee for the Research Grant Award.
Member of the College of Engineering Committee on Academic Affairs (and Chair of Course Subcommittee).
Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award (R21).
Co-Chair of the Cardiovascular Track, Annual Meeting.
Invited speaker, Physiology Department.
Member of the Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute Director's Executive Cabinet.
Invited speaker, Institute for Environmental Medicine.
Member of NIH Study Section (Surgery and Bioengneering; renamed: Bioengineering, Biotechnology and Surgical Sciences).
Member of the BME Chair Search Committee.
Research Project Grant Award (R01).
Editorial Board Member, American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology.
First Award (R29).
Invited speaker, The 5th Japan-USA-Singapore-China Conference on Biomechanics.
Graduate Fellowship, Robert A. Welch Foundation.
1st Prize, Graduate Student Symposium.
Award for Academic Excellence, Technical Chamber of Greece.
- 1998. "Rheology." In Thrombosis and Hemorrhage, edited by Loscalzo J, Schafer AI,
- 1994. "Rheology." In Thrombosis and Hemorrhage, edited by Loscalzo J, Schafer AI,
- Scheitlin,Christopher,G; Nair,Devi,M; Crestanello,Juan,A; Zweier,Jay,L; Alevriadou,B,Rita, 2014, "Fluid Mechanical Forces and Endothelial Mitochondria: A Bioengineering Perspective." CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOENGINEERING 7, no. 4, 483-496 - 483-496.
- Giedt,Randy,J; Pfeiffer,Douglas,R; Matzavinos,Anastasios; Kao,Chiu-Yen; Alevriadou,B,Rita, 2012, "Mitochondrial Dynamics and Motility Inside Living Vascular Endothelial Cells: Role of Bioenergetics." ANNALS OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING 40, no. 9, 1903-1916 - 1903-1916.
- Wootton DM, Alevriadou BR, 2012, "The shear stress of busting blood clots." N Engl J Med 367, no. 14, 1361-3 - 1361-3.
- Chen J, Chen CL, Alevriadou BR, Zweier JL, Chen YR, 2011, "Excess NO predisposes mitochondrial succinate-cytochrome c reductase to produce hydroxyl radical." Biochim Biophys Acta 1807, no. 5, 491-502 - 491-502.
- Lyczkowski RW, Alevriadou BR, Horner M, Panchal CB, Shroff SG, 2009, "Application of multiphase computational fluid dynamics to analyze monocyte adhesion." Annals Biomed Eng 37, no. 8, 1516-1533 - 1516-1533.
- Han Z, Varadharaj S, Giedt RJ, Zweier JL, Szeto HH, Alevriadou BR., 2009, "Mitochondria-derived reactive oxygen species mediate heme oxygenase-1 expression in sheared endothelial cells.." J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329, no. 1, 94-101 - 94-101.
- Jones CI 3rd, Han Z, Presley T, Varadharaj S, Zweier JL, Ilangovan G, Alevriadou BR, 2008, "Endothelial cell respiration is affected by the oxygen tension during shear exposure: role of mitochondrial peroxynitrite.." American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology 295, no. 1, C180-91 - C180-91.
- Han Z, Chen Y-R, Jones CI 3rd, Meenakshisundaram G, Zweier JL, Alevriadou BR, 2007, "Shear-induced reactive nitrogen species inhibit mitochondrial respiratory complex activities in cultured vascular endothelial cells.." American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology 292, no. 3, C1103-12 - C1103-12.
- Jones CI 3rd, Han Z, Szeto HH, Alevriadou BR., 2007, "Expression of heme oxygenase-1 in sheared vascular endothelial cells is regulated by mitochondrial H2O2 formation." Free Radical Biology & Medicine 43, no. Suppl. 1, S151 - S151.
- J.B. Haun, W.M. Baldwin III and B.R. Alevriadou, 2004, "Clearance of complement by human vascular endothelial cells: Effects of hypoxia/reoxygenation and IL-1." The FASEB Journal
- "Analysis of mitochondrial morphology in postischemic vascular endothelial cells." 2010, Presented at American Heart Association (AHA) Young Researchers Reception,
- "Analysis of mitochondrial morphology in cells experiencing a heart attack." 2010, Presented at Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum,
- "Mitochondrial network morphology in postischemic vascular endothelial cells." 2010, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Mitochondrial network morphology changes, mechanisms and consequences in postischemic vascular endothelial cells." 2010, Presented at DHLRI Research Day,
- "Reactive nitrogen species inhibit mitochondrial respiratory complexes in sheared endothelial cells." 2006, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Shear stress regulates the respiration of cultured vascular endothelial cells." 2006, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Mitochondria, NO and endothelial mechanosignaling." 2008, Presented at Experimental Biology Annual Meeting,
- "Mitochondrial superoxide levels in endothelial cells exposed to changes in flow and oxygen tension." 2008, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Mitochondrial superoxide radical generation in endothelial cells exposed to hemodynamic forces." 2009, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Mitochondrial network morphology changes, mechanisms and consequences in postischemic vascular endothelial cells." 2010, Presented at OSU BME Conference,
- "Mitochondrial network morphology in postischemic vascular endothelial cells." 2010, Presented at AHA Scientific Sessions,
- "H/RO and I/RP induce mitochondrial removal by autophagy in endothelial cells." 2011, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Endothelial cell respiration is affected by the oxygen tension during shear exposure." 2007, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Image analysis of dynamic changes in mitochondrial motion and shape inside living vascular endothelial cells: Role of bioenergetics." 2011, Presented at OSU BME Conference,
- "Image analysis of dynamic changes in mitochondrial motion and shape inside living vascular endothelial cells: Role of bioenergetics." 2011, Presented at DHLRI Research Day,
- "Mitochondrial changes in endothelial cells due to mechanochemical stimuli." 2011, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Autophagy in vascular endothelial cells exposed to hypoxia/reoxygenation." 2012, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Calcium changes in endothelial cells exposed to mechanochemical stimuli." 2012, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Endogenous nitric oxide regulates Ca2+ homeostasis in sheared vascular endothelial cells." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Emerging determinants of cytosolic Ca2+ homeostasis in sheared endothelium." 2014, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Modeling the mitochondrial control of shear-induced calcium dynamics in vascular endothelial cells." 2015, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Endothelial mitochondria are required for cytosolic calcium transients induced by fluid shear stress." 2015, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Analysis of shear-induced calcium oscillations in vascular endothelium." 2014, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Endothelial mitochondria are required for cytosolic calcium transients induced by fluid shear stress.." Tempa,