- Professor, Pulmonary, Crit Care, & Sleep
- Professor, Biomedical Engineering
292 Bevis Hall
1080 Carmack Road
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S., Chemical Eng., Cornell University, 1994
- M.S., Biomedical Eng., Tulane University, 1998
- Ph.D., Biomedical Eng., Tulane University, 2000
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award, College of Engineering, Ohio State University, 2015
- Lumley Research Award, College of Engineering, Ohio State University, 2014
- Herman Weed Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010
- NSF CAREER Award, 2008-2013
- NIH RO1 New Investigator Award, 2006-2011
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship in Pulmonary Research, 2005-2008
- Frank Hook Assistant Professorship in Bioengineering, 2005 – 2007
- US National Committee on Biomechanics New Faculty Award, 2005
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, 2001
RESEARCH AREAS – Ghadiali Respiratory Mechanobiology Laboratory
- Cell Mechanics, Mechanobiology, Biofluid Mechanics, Fluid-Structure Interactions, Tissue Mechanics; Mechanobiology of Lung Injury and Inflammation; Multi-scale Modeling of Eustachian Tube Function; microRNA Biology and Cell/Tissue Engineering
Dr. Ghadiali’s laboratory uses a combination of engineering, mathematical and molecular biology tools to to identify the mechanobiological mechanisms responsible for various respiratory and pulmonary/critical care disorders. A major emphasis of the lab is the translation of basic scientific knowledge about how mechanical factors influence disease progression into novel therapeutic agents for several disorders including Otitis Media/Upper Respiratory Infections, Acute Lung Injury, Lung and Breast Cancer and Pulmonary Fibrosis. The laboratory conducts in-vitro, in-vivo and ex-vivo experiments and also develops multi-scale computational models of the respiratory system. Current focus areas for the lab included 1) Biomechanical Mechanisms of Upper Respiratory Disorders, 2) Mechanobiology of Cellular Injury and Inflammation during Mechanical Ventilation and 3) Biomechanical Mechanisms of Cancer Cell Metastasis. Dr. Ghadiali’s research has been/is supported by the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the Pelotonia Cancer Research Program and the American Heart Association.
Lumley Research Award. College of Engineering, Ohio State University.
NSF CAREER Award. NSF.
NIH RO1 New Investigator Award. NIH.
Herman Weed Excellence in Teaching Award. Department of Biomedical Engineering.
Frank Hook Assistant Professorship in Bioengineering. Lehigh University.
Parker B. Francis Fellowship in Pulmonary Research. Parker B. Francis Foundation.
US National Committee on Biomechanics New Faculty Award. US National Committee on Biomechanics.
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Post-doctoral Research Fellowship. Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Louisiana Board of Regents Graduate Study Scholarship. Louisiana Board of Regents.
Chair of Respiratory Engineering Track at BMES Annual Meetings in 2009 and 2014. BMES.
- Huang, Y., Ghadiali, S.N., Nana-Sinkam, S.P.. 2013. "MicroRNAs and Inflammation." In Micro-RNAs in Toxicology and Medicine, edited by Saura Sahu, New York: Wiley Publishing.
- Ghadiali, S.N. and Dailey, H.L.. 2011. "Mechanobiology and finite element analysis of cellular injury during microbubble flows." In Cellular and Biomolecular Mechanics and Mechanobiology, edited by Amit Gefen, Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Ghadiali, SN. 2008. "Computer Modeling in Otitis Media: Perspectives and Limits." In Chronic Otitis Media, Pathology -guided, Pathogenesis-oriented Therapeutic Management, edited by Bernard Ars, Amsterdam: Kugler Publishing.
- Volakis,Leonithas,I; Li,Ruth; Ackerman,William,E; Mihai,Cosmin; Bechel,Meagan; Summerfield,Taryn,L; Ahn,Christopher,S; Powell,Heather,M; Zielinski,Rachel; Rosol,Thomas,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Kniss,Douglas,A, 2014, "Loss of Myoferlin Redirects Breast Cancer Cell Motility towards Collective Migration.." PloS one 9, no. 2, e86110 -
- Ma,Xiaoyue; Schickel,Maureen,E; Stevenson,Mark,D; Sarang-Sieminski,Alisha,L; Gooch,Keith,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Hart,Richard,T, 2013, "Fibers in the Extracellular Matrix Enable Long-Range Stress Transmission between Cells." BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL 104, no. 7, 1410 - 1418.
- Zielinski,Rachel; Mihai,Cosmin; Kniss,Douglas; Ghadiali,Samir,N, 2013, "Finite element analysis of traction force microscopy: influence of cell mechanics, adhesion, and morphology.." Journal of biomechanical engineering 135, no. 7, 71009 - ?.
- Swarts,J,Douglas; Alper,Cuneyt,M; Luntz,Michal; Bluestone,Charles,D; Doyle,William,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Poe,Dennis,S; Takahashi,Haruo; Tideholm,Bo, 2013, "Panel 2: Eustachian Tube, Middle Ear, and Mastoid-Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Pathogenesis." OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY 148, E26 - E36.
- Huang,Yan; Crawford,Melissa; Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Nana-Sinkam,Patrick; Ghadiali,Samir,N, 2012, "miR-146a regulates mechanotransduction and pressure-induced inflammation in small airway epithelium." FASEB JOURNAL 26, no. 8, 3351 - 3364.
- Li,Ruth; Ackerman,William,E; Mihai,Cosmin; Volakis,Leonithas,I; Ghadiali,Samir; Kniss,Douglas,A, 2012, "Myoferlin Depletion in Breast Cancer Cells Promotes Mesenchymal to Epithelial Shape Change and Stalls Invasion." PLOS ONE 7, no. 6, e39766 -
- Sheer,F,J; Swarts,J,D; Ghadiali,S,N, 2012, "Three-dimensional finite element analysis of Eustachian tube function under normal and pathological conditions." MEDICAL ENGINEERING & PHYSICS 34, no. 5, 605 - 616.
- Mihai,Cosmin; Bao,Shengying; Lai,Ju-Ping; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Knoell,Daren,L, 2012, "PTEN inhibition improves wound healing in lung epithelia through changes in cellular mechanics that enhance migration." AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-LUNG CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY 302, no. 3, L287 - L299.
- Ghadiali,Samir; Huang,Yan; Crawford,Melissa; Nana-Sinkam,Patrick, 2011, "Role of microRNA-146a in regulating mechanically induced inflammation in human lung epithelial cells." FASEB JOURNAL 25, unknown -
- Mihai,Cosmin; Zielinski,Rachel; Bao,Shaoying; Knoell,Daren; Ghadiali,Samir, 2011, "PTEN signaling modulates lung epithelial cells migration and wound repair through changes in cellular mechanics." FASEB JOURNAL 25, unknown -
- Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Mihai,Cosmin; Hansford,Derek,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N, 2011, "Influence of Airway Wall Compliance on Epithelial Cell Injury during Cyclic Airway Reopening." FASEB JOURNAL 25, unknown -
- Ghadiali,Samir; Huang,Y, 2011, "Role of airway recruitment and derecruitment in lung injury.." Critical reviews in biomedical engineering 39, no. 4, 297 - 317.
- Mengistu, M., Brotzman, H., Ghadiali, S.N., Lowe-Krentz, L., 2011, "Fluid Shear Stress-Induced JNK Activity Leads to Actin Remodeling for Cell Alignment." Journal of Cell Physiology 1, no. 226, 110 - 121.
- Dailey, H.L., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Influence of Power Law Rheology on Cell Injury During Microbubble Flows." Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 3, no. 9, 263 - 279.
- Huang, Y., Haas, C., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Influence of Transmural Pressure and Cytoskeletal Structure on NF-κB Activation in Respiratory Epithelial Cells." Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 4, no. 3, 415 - 427.
- Sheer, F.J, Swarts, J.D., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Finite Element Analysis of Eustachian Tube Function in Cleft Palate Infants Based on Histological Reconstructions." Cleft Palate Craniofacial Journal 6, no. 47, 600 - 610.
- Ghadiali, S.N., Bell, E.D., Swarts, J.D., 2010, "Timing of Tensor and Levator Veli Palatini Force Applications Determines Eustachian Tube Active Resistance Patterns during the Forced Response Test." Auris Nasus Larynx 6, no. 37, 720 - 729.
- Hallow K.M. & Ghadiali S.N., 2009, "Effect of Cytoskeletal Structure and Mechanics on Epithelial Cell Adhesion During Airway Reopening." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 941 -
- Dailey H.L., Ricles L.M., Ghadiali S.N., 2009, "Role of Membrane and Cortex Mechanics in Microrheology Measurements and Flow-Induced Cell Injury." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 491 -
- Dailey, H.L., Ricles, L.M., Yalcin, H.C., Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Image-Based Finite Element Modeling of Alveolar Epithelial Cell Injury during Airway Reopening." Journal of Applied Physiology ?, no. 106, 221 - 232.
- Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Invited Editorial: Making "Time" for Alveolar Recruitment." Journal of Applied Physiology no. 106, 751 - 752.
- Sheer F.J. & Ghadiali S.N., 2009, "Fully Coupled Fluid-Structure Interaction Model of Active Eustachian Tube Function." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 511 -
- Ricles L.M., Dailey H.L., Ghadiali S.N., 2009, "Accuracy of Cell Mechanical Measurements using Oscillating Optical Tweezers: A Computational Study." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 495 -
- Yalcin, H.C., Hallow, K.M., Wang, J., Ou-Yang, H.D., Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Influence of Cytoskeletal Structure and Mechanics on Epithelial Cell Injury during Cyclic Airway Reopening." American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cell and Molecular Physiology 5, no. 297, L881 - L891.
- Ghadiali,Samir,N, 2009, "Making "time" for alveolar recruitment." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY 106, no. 3, 751 - 752.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Dailey,H,L; Hallow,K,M; Ou-Yang,H,D, 2008, "Influence of power-law rheology and membrane mechanics on cellular injury during microbubble flows." BIORHEOLOGY 45, no. 1-2, 139 - 140.
- Ghadiali, S.N. & Gaver, D.P., 2008, "Biomechanics of Liquid-Epithelium Interactions in Pulmonary Airways." Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology ?, no. 163, 232 - 243.
- Wei, M.T., Zaorski, A., Yalcin, H.C., Wang, J., Hallow, M., Ghadiali, S.N., Chiou, A., Ou-Yang, H.D., 2008, "A Comparative Study of Living Cell Micromechanical Properties by Oscillatory Optical Tweezers." Optics Express ?, no. 16, 8594 - 8603.
- Ghadiali,Samir,N; Yalcin,Huseyin; Dailey,Hannah, 2007, "Effect of cytoskeletal structure on cellular necrosis during airway reopening." FASEB JOURNAL 21, no. 5, A555 - A556.
- Warrick A.E., Swarts J.D., Ghadiali S.N., 2007, "Fluid-structure interactions in the Eustachian tube under normal and pathological conditions." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 451 - 452.
- Dailey, H.L., Yalcin, H.C., Ghadiali, S.N., 2007, "Fluid-Structure Modeling of Flow-Induced Alveolar Epithelial Cell Deformation." Computers and Structures no. 85, 1066 - 1071.
- Bell E.D. & Ghadiali S.N., 2007, "Finite element analysis of clinical pressure-flow waveforms in a collapsed respiratory airway." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 309 - 310.
- Kent,Melodie,Jan Lynettee; Ghadiali,Samir; Marzillier,Jutta; Perry,Susan, 2007, "Effect of mechanical forces on surfactant protein expression in alveolar lung epithelial cells." FASEB JOURNAL 21, no. 5, A552 - A552.
- Dailey H.L., Yalcin H.C., Ghadiali S.N., 2007, "Multi-scale models of epithelial cell injury and detachment during microbubble flows." Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 291 - 292.
- Yalcin, H.C., Perry, S.F., Ghadiali, S.N., 2007, "Influence of Airway Diameter and Cell Confluence on Epithelial Cell Injury in an In-Vitro Model of Airway Reopening." Journal of Applied Physiology ?, no. 103, 1796 - 1807.
- Dailey, H.L. & Ghadiali, S.N., 2007, "Fluid-Structure Analysis of Microparticle Transport in Deformable Pulmonary Alveoli." Journal of Aerosol Science ?, no. 38, 269 - 288.
- Dailey,H,L; Ghadiali,S,N, 2007, "Corrigendurn to "Fluid-structure analysis of microparticle transport in deformable pulmonary alveoli" Journal of Aerosol Science 38 (2007) 269-288." JOURNAL OF AEROSOL SCIENCE 38, no. 5, 572 - 572.
- Bluestone,Charles,D; Hebda,Patricia,A; Alper,Cuneyt,M; Sando,Isamu; Buchman,Craig,A; Stangerup,Sven-Eric; Felding,Jens,U; Swarts,J,Douglas; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Takahashi,Haruo, 2005, "Recent advances in otitis media. 2. Eustachian tube, middle ear, and mastoid anatomy; physiology, pathophysiology, and pathogenesis.." The Annals of otology, rhinology & laryngology. Supplement 194, 16 - 30.
- Kanick,S,C; Doyle,W,J; Ghadiali,S,N; Federspiel,W,J, 2005, "On morphometric measurement of oxygen diffusing capacity in middle ear gas exchange." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY 98, no. 1, 114 - 119.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Banks,J; Swarts,J,D, 2004, "Finite element analysis of active Eustachian tube function." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY 97, no. 2, 648 - 654.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Swarts,J,D; Doyle,W,J, 2003, "Effect of tensor veli palatini muscle paralysis on eustachian tube mechanics." ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY 112, no. 8, 704 - 711.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Gaver,D,P, 2003, "The influence of non-equilibrium surfactant dynamics on the flow of a semi-infinite bubble in a rigid cylindrical capillary tube." JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 478, 165 - 196.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Swarts,J,D; Federspiel,W,J, 2002, "Model-based evaluation of eustachian tube mechanical properties using continuous pressure-flow rate data." ANNALS OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING 30, no. 8, 1064 - 1076.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Federspiel,W,J; Swarts,J,D; Doyle,W,J, 2002, "Measurement of the viscoelastic compliance of the eustachian tube using a modified forced-response test." AURIS NASUS LARYNX 29, no. 1, 1 - 5.
- Ghadiali,S; Swarts,J,D; Banks,J; Doyle,W,J, 2002, "Influence of lung surfactant on Eustachain tube mechanics." FASEB JOURNAL 16, no. 5, A1151 - A1151.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Banks,J; Swarts,J,D, 2002, "Effect of surface tension and surfactant administration on Eustachian tube mechanics." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY 93, no. 3, 1007 - 1014.
- Ghadiali,S,N; HALPERN,D; Gaver,D,P, 2001, "A dual-reciprocity boundary element method for evaluating bulk convective transport of surfactant in free-surface flows." JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS 171, no. 2, 534 - 559.
- Ghadiali,S,N; Gaver,D,P, 2000, "An investigation of pulmonary surfactant physicochemical behavior under airway reopening conditions." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY 88, no. 2, 493 - 506.
- Ghadiali,S; Gaver,D,P, 1998, "Exogenous replacement surfactants reduce airway reopening stresses by interfacial remobilization." FASEB JOURNAL 12, no. 4, A171 - A171.