- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor, Materials Science Engineering
293 Bevis Hall
1080 Carmack Road
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S., Case Western Reserve University, 1994
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 1999
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Herman R. Weed Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Biomedical Engineering, OSU (2016)
- Lumley Research Award, College of Engineering, OSU (2013)
RESEARCH AREAS – Hansford Lab
- Micro/Nanotechnology devices and fabrication; Biomaterials
- Essenpreis, Matthias; Desai, Tejal A; Ferrari, Mauro; Hansford, Derek J. "Implantable Analyte Sensor." Patent #6405066
- Guan, Jingjiao; Hansford, Derek J; Lee, L James. "Self-folding polymer microparticles." Patent #7364675
- Hansford, Derek J; Walczak, Robbie J; Boiarski, Anthony, A; Albert Terrence Conlisk. "Nanopump devices and methods." Patent #7799197
- Epstein, Arthur J; Feinberg, Steven E; Hansford, Derek J; Yang, Yanyin. “Electrical stimulation of cell and tissue growth with two- and three-dimensionally patterned electrodes.” Patent #8478422.
Professor Hansford’s research investigates the bio-material interface through the use of advanced micro/nanofabrication techniques. Our fabrication techniques have been demonstrated on a wide variety of biomaterials and advanced functional materials, and can be used for planar, curved, and multi-level microstructures for enhancing and controlling the attachment of cells and tissues. We use these engineered biomaterial surfaces to study cellular behaviors from cancer cell migration behaviors through enhanced implant-tissue attachment. We also develop advanced microdevices for studying cells and manipulating bio-fluids at the micro/nanoscale for cell and biomolecular manipulation as well as modulation of the cellular microenvironment.
Involves the development of generalized microfabrication protocols for polymers as well as advanced applications of polymer, glass, and silicon microdevices for biomedical applications. The Hansford lab has expertise in microfabrication of a wide array of biomaterials (especially functional polymers), modification of materials surfaces for enhanced biocompatibility, and design of bioMEMS devices for cellular interactions.
- 2012. "Propagation of human bone marrow stem cells for craniofacial applications." In Stem cells and cancer stem cells (Vol. 7): Therapeutic applications in disease and injury, edited by MA Hayat,
- 2012. "Micropatterned coatings for guided tissue regeneration in dental implantology." In Cell Interaction, edited by S Gowder,
- 2003. "Medical therapy: The next frontier of biochip and biomedical nanotechnology." In Biochips: Technology and Applications, edited by W-L Xing, J Cheng,
- 2001. ""Nano-scale size-based biomolecular separation technology"." In Biochip Technologies, edited by L. Kricka and J. Cheng,
- Laranjeira, M, Carvalho, A, Pelaez-Vargas, A, Hansford, DJ, Ferraz, MP, Coimbra, S, Costa, E, Santos-Silva, A, Fernandes, MH, Monteiro, FJ, 2014, "Modulation of human dermal microvascular endothelial cell and human gingival fibroblast behavior by micropatterned silica coating surfaces for zirconia dental implant applications." Science and Technology of Advanced Materials 15, 11 - 11.
- Pelaez-Vargas,Alejandro; Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Carvalho,Angela; Fernandes,Maria,H; Hansford,Derek,J; Monteiro,Fernando,J, 2013, "Effects of density of anisotropic microstamped silica thin films on guided bone tissue regenerationIn vitro study." JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS RESEARCH PART B-APPLIED BIOMATERIALS 101B, no. 5, 762-769 - 762-769.
- DINAN,B; Gallego-Perez,D; LEE,H; Hansford,D; Akbar,S,A, 2013, "Thermally grown TiO2 nanowires to improve cell growth and proliferation on titanium based materials." CERAMICS INTERNATIONAL 39, no. 5, 5949-5954 - 5949-5954.
- Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Pelaez-Vargas,Alejandro; Garcia Quiroz,Felipe; Posada,Olga,M; Lopez,Luis,E; Sarassa,Carlos,A; Agudelo-Florez,Piedad; Monteiro,Fernando,J; Litsky,Alan,S; Hansford,Derek,J, 2012, "Reinforced Portland cement porous scaffolds for load-bearing bone tissue engineering applications." JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS RESEARCH PART B-APPLIED BIOMATERIALS 100B, no. 2, 501-507 - 501-507.
- Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Quiroz,Felipe,García; Posada,Olga,M; López,Luis,E; Litsky,Alan,S; Hansford,Derek,J, 2011, "Portland cement for bone tissue engineering: Effects of processing and metakaolin blends.." Journal of biomedical materials research. Part B, Applied biomaterials 98, no. 2, 308-315 - 308-315.
- Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Garcia Quiroz,Felipe; Posada,Olga,M; Lopez,Luis,E; Litsky,Alan,S; Hansford,Derek,J, 2011, "Portland cement for bone tissue engineering: Effects of processing and metakaolin blends." JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS RESEARCH PART B-APPLIED BIOMATERIALS 98B, no. 2, 308-315 - 308-315.
- Schwan,Stefan; Ferrell,Nicholas; Hansford,Derek; Spohn,Uwe; Heilmann,Andreas, 2009, "Measurement of mechanical forces generated by plant P-protein aggregates (forisomes)." EUROPEAN BIOPHYSICS JOURNAL WITH BIOPHYSICS LETTERS 38, no. 4, 533-536 - 533-536.
- N Ferrell, J Wooddard, and DJ Hansford, 2007, "Fabrication of polymer microstructures for MEMS: Sacrificial Layer Micromolding (SLaM) and Patterned Substrate Micromolding (PSM)." Biomedical Microdevices 9, 815-821 - 815-821.
- Koulouridis,Stavros; Kiziltas,Gullu; Zhou,Yijun; Hansford,Derek,J; Volakis,John,L, 2007, "Polymer-ceramic composites for microwave applications: Fabrication and performance assessment." IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques 12, no. 54, 4202-4208 - 4202-4208.
- D Gallego, N Higuita, F Garcia, N Ferrell, and DJ Hansford, 2007, "Bioactive coatings on Portland cement substrates: Surface precipitation of Apatite-like crystals." Materials Science and Engineering C 28, 253-358 - 253-358.
- J Guan, LJ Lee, and DJ Hansford, 2007, "Fabrication of particulate-like polymer microstructures for drug delivery by soft lithography." Small 3, no. 3, 412-418 - 412-418.
- M Palacio, B Bhushan, N Ferrell, and DJ Hansford, 2007, "Adhesion properties of polymer/silicon interfaces for biological micro/nanoelectromechanical systems applications." Jo Vac Sci Tech A 25, no. 4, 1275-1284 - 1275-1284.
- N Ferrell and DJ Hansford, 2007, "Micro and nanoscale fabrication of polymer structures by soft lithography spin dewetting." Macromolecules Rapid Communications 28, 966-971 - 966-971.
- Ferrell,Nicholas; Hansford,Derek, 2007, "Fabrication of micro- and nanoscale polymer structures by soft lithography and spin dewetting." MACROMOLECULAR RAPID COMMUNICATIONS 28, no. 8, 966-971 - 966-971.
- Guan, Jingjiao; Ferrell, Nicholas; James Lee, L; Hansford, Derek J, 2006, "Fabrication of polymeric microparticles for drug delivery by soft lithography.." Biomaterials 27, no. 21, 4034-4041 - 4034-4041.
- J Kitzmiller, DQ Beversdorf, and DJ Hansford, 2006, "Microfabrication of microelectrode arrays for neural column potentiometry." Biomedical Microdevices 8, 81-85 - 81-85.
- B Bhushan, DJ Hansford, and KK Lee, 2006, "Surface modification of silicon and PDMS surfaces with vapor phase deposited ultrathin fluorosilane films for biomedical nanodevices." Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 4, no. 24, 1197-1202 - 1197-1202.
- Kitzmiller, Joseph; Beversdorf, David; Hansford, Derek, 2006, "Fabrication and testing of microelectrodes for small-field cortical surface recordings.." Biomedical Microdevices 8, no. 1, 81-85 - 81-85.
- J Guan, H He, DJ Hansford, and LJ Lee, 2005, "Self-folding of three-dimensional hydrogel microstructures." Journal of Physical Chemistry B: Condensed Matter, Materials Surfaces, Interfaces, and Biophysics 49, no. 109, 23134-23137 - 23134-23137.
- J Guan, A Chakrapani, and DJ Hansford, 2005, "Polymer microparticles fabricated by soft lithography." Chemistry of Materials 25, no. 17, 6627-6629 - 6627-6629.
- G Wei, B Bhushan, N Ferrell, and DJ Hansford, 2005, "Nanomechanical characterization of materials for Polymer MEMS applications." Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 4, no. 23, 811-819 - 811-819.
- KK Lee, B Bhushan, and DJ Hansford, 2005, "Vapor phase deposition of fluoropolymers and fluorosilanes for nanochannel applications." Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 4, no. 23, 804-810 - 804-810.
- Zheng, Zhi; Hansford, Derek, J; Conlisk, Albert T, 2003, "Effect of multivalent ions on electroosmotic flow in micro- and nanochannels.." Electrophoresis 24, no. 17, 3006-17 - 3006-17.
- AT Conlisk, J McFerran, Z Zheng, and D Hansford, 2002, "Mass transfer and flow in electrically charged micro- and nanochannels." Analytical Chemistry 74, no. 9, 2139-2150 - 2139-2150.
- T Desai, D Hansford, L Leoni, M Essenpreis, and M Ferrari, 2000, "Nanoporous anti-fouling silicon membranes for implantable biosensor applications." Biosensors and Bioelectronics 15, no. 9-10, 453-462 - 453-462.
- Desai, T, A; Hansford, D, J; Ferrari, M, 2000, "Micromachined interfaces: new approaches in cell immunoisolation and biomolecular separation.." Biomolecular engineering 17, no. 1, 23-36 - 23-36.
- P Belgrader, D Hansford, GTA Kovacs, K Venkateswaren, F Milanovich, S Nasarabadi, R Mariella, M Okuzumi, F Pourahmadi, and MA Northrup, 1999, "A minisonicator to rapidly disrupt bacterial spores." Analytical Chemistry 71, no. 19, 4232-4236 - 4232-4236.
- Belgrader, P; Hansford, D; Kovacs, G, T; Venkateswaran, K; Mariella, R Jr; Milanovich, F; Nasarabadi, S; Okuzumi, M; Pourahmadi, F; Northrup, M A, 1999, "A minisonicator to rapidly disrupt bacterial spores for DNA analysis.." Analytical chemistry 71, no. 19, 4232-4236 - 4232-4236.
- T Desai, D Hansford, and M Ferrari, 1999, "Characterization of Micromachined Membranes for Immunoisolation and Bioseparation Applications." Jo. Membrane Sci. 4132, 1-11 - 1-11.
Papers in Proceedings
- I Tzanidis, CC Chen, D Hansford, and JL Volakis "Spiral antenna miniaturization using variable magnetic material loading." in URSI 2007. (7 2007).
- N Higuita, D Gallego, F Garcia, LE Lopez, C Sarassa, P Agudelo, AS Litsky, DJ Hansford "Development of polydimethylsiloxane-reinforced Portland cement porous scaffolds for load-bearing bone tissue engineering applications." in Int. Conf. Mech. of Biomaterials and Tissues. (12 2007).
- AJ Spiwak, S Warron, S Sullivan, C Sopkovich, DJ Hansford "Effect of pump operation on temperature change and weight change of a new tubing product for peristaltic pump operation." in Amer Soc Extracorp Tech. (4 2007).
- AJ Spiwak, C Sopkovich, T Preston, G Agarwal, DJ Hansford "A visualization of extracorporeal technology by atomic force microscopy to appreciate surface characteristics for blood and tissue interactions." in Amer Soc Extracorp Tech. (4 2007).
- N Ferrell, A Bross, DJ Hansford "Micro/nanofabrication by spin dewetting on a poly (dimethylsiloxane) mold." in MRS Spring Meeting 2007. (4 2007).
- DJ Hansford "Polymer-Ceramic Electro-Magnetic Composites for RF/Microwave Antennas and Circuits." in Composites at Lake Louise. (10 2007).
- D Gallego-Perez, N Ferrell, Y Sun, DJ Hansford "Microfabrication of degradable polymer tissue engineering scaffolds." in Symposium on Advanced Processing of Biomaterials. (10 2006).
- A Chakrapani, N Ferrell, DJ Hansford "Fabrication of Biodegradable Polymer Microdevices for Controlled Drug Delivery Systems." in Particles 2006: Medical/Biochemical Diagnostic, Pharmaceutical, and Drug Delivery Applications of Particle Technology. (5 2006).
- SV Olesik, J Shearer, M Umaedi, N Ferrell, and DJ Hansford "Selective carbon microfabricated liquid chromatographic devices for separation of biomolecules." in HPLC Symposium 2006. (6 2006).
- DJ Hansford "Polymer MEMS devices for homeland security sensing applications." in Working Together: R&D Partnerships in Homeland Security. (4 2005).
- 1. D Gallego, LE Lopez, DJ Hansford, J Klemas "Bone Tissue Engineering applications of Portland Cement Phase I: Biocompatibility studies – Effects of Calcium Hydroxide." in Third International Materials Congress. (9 2005).
- N Ferrell, J Woodard, and DJ Hansford "Polymer MEMS sensors for measuring single cell biomechanics." in Proc. 1st Internat'l Conf. Mech. of Biomat'ls & Tissues. (12 2005).
- 1. D Gallego, N Higuita, F Garcia, DJ Hansford "Biocompatibility improvement of Portland Cement through the introduction of pozzolanic materials: Effects of metakaolin on the cytotoxicity." in Colombian Congress of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering, Bogotá, Colombia. (9 2005).
- D Gallego, J Klemas, E Lopez, DJ Hansford "Biocompatibility studies on Portland Cement substrates: Potential Bone Tissue Engineering Applications." in II Symposium about Biofactories, Biotechnology advances in Colombia. (3 2005).
- 1. D Gallego, N Higuita, F Garcia, DJ Hansford, E Lopez "Fabrication of Portland Cement porous scaffolds: Potential applications as load bearing bone substitutes." in Colombian Congress of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering,. (9 2005).
- J Volakis, K Kurabayashi, and DJ Hansford "Miniature autonomous and wireless sensors based on nano-optofluidic microsystems for toxic gas detection." in Working Together: R&D Partnerships in Homeland Security (Dept. Homeland Sec. Sci. & Tech. Dir. (4 2005).
- J Woodard, N Ferrell, and DJ Hansford "Design, fabrication, and optimization of a polymer MEMS sensor measuring single cell mechanics." in Proc. IASTED Internat’l Conf Biomed Eng. (2 2005).
- N Ferrell, J Woodard, and DJ Hansford "Fabrication of Polymer MEMS for Biological Applications." in BioMEMS & Biomed Nanotech 2004 Conf. (8 2004).
- N Ferrell, J Woodard, and DJ Hansford "Fabrication of a Polymer MEMS Sensor for Measuring Single Cell Biomechanics." in Proc IASTED Internat’l Conf Biomech. (8 2004).
- DJ Hansford, D Gallego, D Patiño, D Calderón, N Ferrell, A Chakrapani "Microfabricación y evaluación in vitro de scaffolds en PLGA–ácido poli (DL-lactico-co-glicolico): Microfabrication and in vitro evaluation of PLGA scaffolds." in 1st Colombian Congress of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering. (10 2003).
- Essenpreis,Matthias; Desai,Tejal,A; Ferrari,Mauro; Hansford,Derek,J. "Implantable Analyte Sensor." Patent number: 6405066
- Guan,Jingjiao; Hansford,Derek,J; Lee,L,James. "Self-folding polymer microparticles." Patent number: 7364675
- Hansford,Derek,J; Walczak,Robbie,J; Boiarski,Anthony,A; Albert Terrence Conlisk. "Nanopump devices and methods." Patent number: 7799197