- Professor, Biomedical Engineering
333 W. 10th Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S.E, Duke University, 1996
- M.S., Case Western Reserve University, 2000
- Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University, 2004
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Lumley Research Award, OSU College of Engineering (2017)
- Melissa G. Piper Distinguished Mentor Award, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, OSU Wexner Medical Center (2016)
- Herman R. Weed Excellence in Teaching Award, OSU Department of Biomedical Engineering (2014)
- Studying Complex Systems Scholar, James S. McDonnell Foundation (2013)
- Research Scholar in Cardiovascular Disease, Gilead Sciences Research Scholar Program (2011)
RESEARCH AREAS – Hund Lab for Excitable Cell Engineering [hundlab.org]
- Bioelectricity; Molecular, cell and tissue engineering; Mathematical modeling; Cardiac arrhythmia and heart failure mechanisms
Professor Hund’s research addresses the regulation of cardiac ion channels and cell excitability with the overall objective of understanding human cardiac arrhythmia and disease mechanisms. Studies in the lab span cardiac cell biology and electrophysiology to computational biology and mathematical modeling to murine models of cardiac arrhythmia (in vivo and ex vivo) and heart failure. A major focus of his research is the role of the cytoskeletal protein betaIV-spectrin in organizing ion channel macromolecular complexes at the cardiomyocyte intercalated disc to regulate cell excitability. His work has received support from the National Institutes of Health, American Heart Association, Gilead Sciences Research Scholars Program, James S. McDonnell Foundation, and Saving tiny Hearts Society.
Lumley Research Award.
Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor, Nominee.
Melissa G. Piper Distinguished Mentor Award.
Herman R. Weed Excellence in Teaching Award.
Complex Systems Scholar.
Research Scholar in Cardiovascular Disease.
NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00).
Early-Career Authors Prize.
NIH Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award (F32).
- 2012. "Principles of Cellular Architecture and Physiology with Applications in Electrophysiology." In Electrophysiological Disorders of the Heart. 2nd Edition, edited by Saksena and Camm,
- 2011. "Calmodulin kinase II regulation of heart rhythm and disase." In Heart Rate and Rhythm: Molecular Basis, Pharmacological Modulation, and Clinical Implications, edited by Tripathi ON, Ravens U, and Sanguinetti MC,
- Birce, Onal; Gratz, Daniel; Hund, Thomas, 2016, "LongQt: A cardiac electrophysiology simulation platform." MethodsX 3, 589-599 - 589-599.
- Onal,Birce; Hund,Thomas,J, 2016, "Physiological variability and atrial fibrillation therapy: Insights from population-based mathematical modeling.." Heart rhythm 13, 2366-2367 - 2366-2367.
- Smith, Sakima, A; Hughes, Langston; Kline, Crystal, F; Kempton, Amber; Dorn, Lisa; Curran, Jerry; Makara, Michael; Webb, Tyler; Wright, Patrick; Voigt, Niels; Binkley, Philip, F; Janssen, Paul,M,L;Kilic, Ahmet; Carnes, Cynthia, A; Dobrev, Dobromir; Rasband, Matthew; Hund, Thomas, J; Mohler, Peter, J, 2016, "Dysfunction of the betaII spectrin-based pathway in human heart failure." AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY - HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY 310, H1583-91 - H1583-91.
- Sturm, A.C.; Kline, C.F.; Glynn, P.; Johnson, B.L. et al., 2015, "Use of whole exome sequencing for the identification of Ito-based arrhythmia mechanism and therapy.." Journal of the American Heart Association 4, no. 5,
- Curran, J.; Musa, H.; Kline, C.F.; Makara, M.A. et al., 2015, "Eps15 Homology Domain-containing Protein 3 Regulates Cardiac T-type Ca2+ Channel Targeting and Function in the Atria.." The Journal of biological chemistry 290, no. 19, 12210-12221 - 12210-12221.
- Musa,Hassan; Kline,Crystal,F; Sturm,Amy,C; Murphy,Nathaniel; Adelman,Sara; Wang,Chaojian; Yan,Haidun; Johnson,Benjamin,L; Csepe,Thomas,A; Kilic,Ahmet; Higgins,Robert,SD; Janssen,Paul,ML; Fedorov,Vadim,V; Weiss,Raul; Salazar,Christina; Hund,Thomas,J; Pitt,Geoffrey,S; Mohler,Peter,J, 2015, "SCN5A variant that blocks fibroblast growth factor homologous factor regulation causes human arrhythmia." PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 112, no. 40, 12528-12533 - 12528-12533.
- Smith,Sakima,A; Sturm,Amy,C; Curran,Jerry; Kline,Crystal,F; Little,Sean,C; Bonilla,Ingrid,M; Long,Victor,P; Makara,Michael; Polina,Iuliia; Hughes,Langston,D; Webb,Tyler,R; Wei,Zhiyi; Wright,Patrick; Voigt,Niels; Bhakta,Deepak; Spoonamore,Katherine,G; Zhang,Chuansheng; Weiss,Raul; Binkley,Philip,F; Janssen,Paul,M; Kilic,Ahmet; Higgins,Robert,S; Sun,Mingzhai; Ma,Jianjie; Dobrev,Dobromir; Zhang,Mingjie; Carnes,Cynthia,A; Vatta,Matteo; Rasband,Matthew,N; Hund,Thomas,J; Mohler,Peter,J, 2015, "Dysfunction in the beta II Spectrin-Dependent Cytoskeleton Underlies Human Arrhythmia." CIRCULATION 131, no. 8, 695-U72 - 695-U72.
- Hund, T.J.; Mohler, P.J., 2014, "Nav channel complex heterogeneity: new targets for the treatment of arrhythmia?." Circulation 130, no. 2, 132-134 - 132-134.
- Kline, C.F.; Scott, J.; Curran, J.; Hund, T.J. et al., 2014, "Ankyrin-B regulates Cav2.1 and Cav2.2 channel expression and targeting.." The Journal of biological chemistry 289, no. 8, 5285-5295 - 5285-5295.
- Curran, J.; Makara, M.A.; Little, S.C.; Musa, H. et al., 2014, "EHD3-dependent endosome pathway regulates cardiac membrane excitability and physiology.." Circulation research 115, no. 1, 68-78 - 68-78.
- Wolf, R.M.; Glynn, P.; Hashemi, S.; Zarei, K. et al., 2013, "Atrial fibrillation and sinus node dysfunction in human ankyrin-B syndrome: a computational analysis." AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY 304, no. 9, H1253-H1266 - H1253-H1266.
- Noorman, M.; Hakim, S.; Kessler, E.; Groeneweg, J.A. et al., 2013, "Remodeling of the cardiac sodium channel, connexin43, and plakoglobin at the intercalated disk in patients with arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy.." Heart rhythm 10, no. 3, 412-419 - 412-419.
- DeGrande,Sean,T; Little,Sean,C; Nixon,Derek,J; Wright,Patrick; Snyder,Jedidiah; Dun,Wen; Murphy,Nathaniel; Kilic,Ahmet; Higgins,Robert; Binkley,Philip,F; Boyden,Penelope,A; Carnes,Cynthia,A; Anderson,Mark,E; Hund,Thomas,J; Mohler,Peter,J, 2013, "Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Cardiac Protein Phosphatase 2A Regulation in Heart." JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY 288, no. 2, 1032-1046 - 1032-1046.
- Jansen, J.A.; Noorman, M.; Musa, H.; Stein, M. et al., 2012, "Reduced heterogeneous expression of Cx43 results in decreased Nav1.5 expression and reduced sodium current that accounts for arrhythmia vulnerability in conditional Cx43 knockout mice." HEART RHYTHM 9, no. 4, 600-607 - 600-607.
- Smith, S.; Curran, J.; Hund, T.J.; Mohler, P.J., 2012, "Defects in cytoskeletal signaling pathways, arrhythmia, and sudden cardiac death.." Frontiers in physiology 3, 122 - 122.
- Koval,Olha,M; Snyder,Jedidiah,S; Wolf,Roseanne,M; Pavlovicz,Ryan,E; Glynn,Patric; Curran,Jerry; Leymaster,Nicholas,D; Dun,Wen; Wright,Patrick,J; Cardona,Natalia; Qian,Lan; Mitchell,Colleen,C; Boyden,Penelope,A; Binkley,Philip,F; Li,Chenglong; Anderson,Mark,E; Mohler,Peter,J; Hund,Thomas,J, 2012, "Ca2+/Calmodulin-Dependent Protein Kinase II-Based Regulation of Voltage-Gated Na+ Channel in Cardiac Disease.." Circulation 126, no. 17, 2084-2094 - 2084-2094.
- Cerrone,Marina; Noorman,Maartje; Lin,Xianming; Chkourko,Halina; Liang,Feng-Xia; van der Nagel,Roel; Hund,Thomas; Birchmeier,Walter; Mohler,Peter; van Veen,Toon,A; van Rijen,Harold,V; Delmar,Mario, 2012, "Sodium current deficit and arrhythmogenesis in a murine model of plakophilin-2 haploinsufficiency." CARDIOVASCULAR RESEARCH 95, no. 4, 460-468 - 460-468.
- Gudmundsson, H.; Curran, J.; Kashef, F.; Snyder, J.S. et al., 2012, "Differential regulation of EHD3 in human and mammalian heart failure.." Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology 52, no. 5, 1183-1190 - 1183-1190.
- Gao, Z.; Singh, M.V.; Hall, D.D.; Koval, O.M. et al., 2011, "Catecholamine-independent heart rate increases require Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II.." Circulation. Arrhythmia and electrophysiology 4, no. 3, 379-387 - 379-387.
- Cunha, S.R.; Hund, T.J.; Hashemi, S.; Voigt, N. et al., 2011, "Defects in Ankyrin-Based Membrane Protein Targeting Pathways Underlie Atrial Fibrillation." CIRCULATION 124, no. 11, 1212-1222 - 1212-1222.
- Gudmundsson, H.; Hund, T.J.; Wright, P.J.; Kline, C.F. et al., 2010, "EH Domain Proteins Regulate Cardiac Membrane Protein Targeting." CIRCULATION RESEARCH 107, no. 1, 84-U175 - 84-U175.
- Christensen, M.D.; Dun, W.; Boyden, P.A.; Anderson, M.E. et al., 2009, "Oxidized calmodulin kinase II regulates conduction following myocardial infarction: a computational analysis.." PLoS computational biology 5, no. 12, e1000583 - e1000583.
- Hund, T.J.; Wright, P.J.; Dun, W.; Snyder, J.S. et al., 2009, "Regulation of the ankyrin-B-based targeting pathway following myocardial infarction." CARDIOVASCULAR RESEARCH 81, no. 4, 742-749 - 742-749.
- Thiel, W.H.; Chen, B.; Hund, T.J.; Koval, O.M. et al., 2008, "Proarrhythmic defects in Timothy syndrome require calmodulin kinase II.." Circulation 118, no. 22, 2225-2234 - 2225-2234.
- "Defining novel mechanisms for regulation of cardiac excitability and function." 2016, Presented at Washington University in St. Louis, Department of Biomedical Engineering,
- "Regulation of the late sodium current by CaMKII." 2016, Presented at Heart Rhythm Society's 37th Annual Scientific Sessions,
- "Automaticity and cardiac pacemaking: A computational analysis." 2013, Presented at Heart Rhythm Society's 34th Annual Scientific Sessions,
- "CaMKII-dependent regulation of cardiac excitability in health and disease." 2012, Presented at Big 10 Seminar Series,
- "Integrating in vivo, in vitro, and in silico approaches to define excitable cell disease." 2011, Presented at Annual Meeting of the Central Society for Clinical Research,
- "CaMKII-dependent regulation of cardiac excitability in health and disease." 2012, Presented at Cardiac Bioelectricity and Arrhythmia Center Seminar,
- "The role of calcium in ischemia and heart failure." 2007, Presented at Gordon Research Conference on Cardiac Arrhythmia Mechanisms,
- "Excitable cell disease from in silico to in vivo." 2013, Presented at Case Western Reserve University BME Seminar,
- "CaMKII-dependent regulation of cardiac excitability in health and disease." 2011, Presented at 3rd Annual Leducq Meeting of the Transatlantic CaMKII Alliance,
- "Ankyrin-B dysfunction and arrhythmias." 2012, Presented at Gordon Research Conference on Regulatory Mechanisms,
- "CaMKII-dependent Na+ channel regulation: Modeling studies." 2014, Presented at UC Davis Cardiovascular Symposium 2014,
- "Mathematical modeling of mitochondria." 2014, Presented at Heart Rhythm Society's 35th Annual Scientific Sessions,
- "Modeling for non-modelers." 2014, Presented at Heart Rhythm Society's 35th Annual Scientific Sessions,
- "Modeling intercellular coupling in post-MI arrhythmias." 2010, Presented at American Heart Association Scientific Sessions,
- "Cycle length restitution and spontaneous action potential dynamics in sinoatrial node disease." 2014, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society 2014 Annual Meeting,
- "Defining novel mechanisms underlying atrial arrhythmias: Insights from computational studies." 2016, Presented at Advanced Biomedical Modeling: From Image to Simulation Seminar and Workshop,
- "Defining novel mechanisms for regulation of cardiac excitability." 2016, Presented at Purdue University Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering Distinguished Seminar Series,
- "Sodium channel scaffolds." 2015, Presented at American Heart Association Scientific Sessions,
- "Protein phosphatae post-translational regulation in heart disease." 2015, Presented at American Heart Association Scientific Sessions,
Papers in Proceedings
- Dybkova,N; Wagner,S; Backs,J; Mohler,P; Hund,T; Maier,L "CaMKII-dependent late INa and cardiac Na channel phosphorylation are disturbed by tubulin polymerization." in Congress of the European-Society-of-Cardiology (ESC). (8 2012).
- Carnes, Cynthia; Hund, Thomas; Li, Pui-Kai "Tom; Li, Chenglong; Mohler, Peter. "PP2A Regulatory Subunit Modification in Disease."
- Hund, Thomas and Mohler, Peter. "SCN5A mouse model."
- Hund, Thomas and Mohler, Peter. "SCN5E mouse model."