- Assistant Professor, Cardiac Surgery
- Physician & Assistant Prof., FGP-Cardiac Surgery
410 W 10th Ave
N817A Doan Hall
Columbus, OH 43210
Thora W Halstead Young Investigator's Award.
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
LSI Excellence in Teaching Award.
Rosenfeld Humanitarian Award.
Fellow of the Aerospace Medical Association.
Educational Top Gun Award - 1st place.
Best in Research Award.
Educational Top Gun Award - 2nd Place.
Best in Research Award.
Best Clinical Research - 2nd prize.
Citation for Excellence in Teaching.
Educational Top Gun Award.
Best in Research Award.
SLS Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Resident Surgeon Award.
Resident Teaching Award.
Finalist - Resident Award for Exemplary Teaching.
Citizenship Award - General Surgery Residency Program.
Best Student/Resident Abstract - 78th Scientific Meeting.
Best Student/Resident Abstract at the 75th Scientific Meeting.
Harriet W. Sheriden Center for Teaching and Learning.
1st place - Grad Student Poster.
Faculty Scholar Award.
Ross McFarland Student Award for Best Student/Resident Abstract.
1st place - Grad Student Poster.
2nd Place - Grad Student Poster.
Korean Honor Scholarship.
American Medical Association/Glaxo Wellcome Achievement Award.
- 2014. "Exposure and Open Surgical Management at the Diaphragm." In Operative Techniques in Surgery, edited by Mulholland M, Albo D, Englesbe M, Hawn M, Hughes S, Sable M, Upchurch Jr. GR,
- 1998. "Trends Toward the Development of a New Space Mark Providing Satellite Based Telmedical Services." In New Space Markets, edited by Haskel, G.I. and Rycroft, M.,
- Davis, MK, Lee, PH, Witteles, RM, 2015, "Changing outcomes after heart transplantation in patients with amyloid cardiomyopathy." J Heart Lung Transplant 34, no. 5, 658 - 658.
- Fichadia, HK, Solomon, J, Lee, PHU, 2015, "An unusual duplication of the palmaris longus muscle." Int J Anat Var 8, 15 - 15.
- Lee PHU, Vandenburgh HH, 2013, "Skeletal Muscle Atrophy in Bioengineered Skeletal Muscle: a New Model System." Tissue Eng Part A 19, no. 19-20, 2147-2155 - 2147-2155.
- Lee PHU, Vandenburgh HH, 2012, "Spaceflight Reduces Foreign Protein Expression in Tissue-Engineered Skeletal Muscle." Gravit Space Biol 26, no. 1, 17-24 - 17-24.
- Lee PHU, Moore R, Raizada A, Grotz R, 2011, "Duodenal Stent Migration Causing Small Bowel Perforation After Gastrojejunostomy." World J Radiol 3, no. 6, 152-4 - 152-4.
- Shansky,Janet; Creswick,Bernard; Lee,Peter; Wang,Xiao; Vandenburgh,Herman, 2006, "Paracrine release of insulin-like growth factor 1 from a bioengineered tissue stimulates skeletal muscle growth in vitro." TISSUE ENGINEERING 12, no. 7, 1833-1841 - 1833-1841.
- Sides,M,B; Vernikos,J; Convertino,V,A; Stepanek,J; Tripp,L,D; Draeger,J; Hargens,A,R; Kourtidou-Papadeli,C; Pavy-LeTraon,A; Russomano,T; Wong,J,Y; Buccello,R,R; Lee,P,H; Nangalia,V; Saary,M,J, 2005, "The Bellagio report: Cardiovascular risks of spaceflight: Implications for the future of space travel." AVIATION SPACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE 76, no. 9, 877-895 - 877-895.
- Jay,G,D; Lee,P; Goldsmith,H; Battat,J; Maurer,J; Suner,S, 2003, "CPR effectiveness in microgravity: Comparison of three positions and a mechanical device." AVIATION SPACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE 74, no. 11, 1183-1189 - 1183-1189.
- Shenkman,B,S; Belozerova,I,N; Lee,Peter; Nemirovskaya,T,L; Kozlovskaya,I,B, 2003, "Effects of weightlessness and movement restriction on the structure and metabolism of the soleus muscle in monkeys after space flight.." Neuroscience and behavioral physiology 33, no. 7, 717-722 - 717-722.
- Shenkman,B,S; Belozerova,I,N; Lee,P; Nemirovskaya,T,L, 2000, "Structural and metabolic characteristics of rhesus monkey m. soleus after spaceflight.." Journal of gravitational physiology : a journal of the International Society for Gravitational Physiology 7, no. 1, S39-42 - S39-42.
- Vandenburgh,H; DELTATTO,M; Shansky,J; Lemaire,J; Chang,A; Payumo,F; Lee,P; Goodyear,A; RAVEN,L, 1996, "Tissue-engineered skeletal muscle organoids for reversible gene therapy." HUMAN GENE THERAPY 7, no. 17, 2195-2200 - 2195-2200.
- "Surgical Options for End-stage Heart Failure." 2015, Presented at 15th Annual Cardiovascular Symposium,
- "Space Medical Research and Surgical Issues for Long Duration Space Missions." 2016, Presented at OSU Surgical Grand Rounds,
- "Functional Cardiac Engineered Tissue Constructs to Model Heart Disease." 2016, Presented at The Ohio State University Klassen Research Day,
- "An Update on Cardiac Surgery and Issues Relevant to Pilots." 2015, Presented at Flying Physician Association Great Lakes-Dixie Chapters Joint Spring 2015 Meeting,
- "An Update on ECMO & Lung Transplantion for Advanced Respiratory Failure." 2015, Presented at West Virginia Society for Respiratory Care 17th Annual Spring Healthcare Team Conference,
- Cells Unleashed from the Chains of Gravity: Mind Bending Science form the U.S. National Lab on the Interntional Space Station. 2016, Presented at The World Stem Cell Summit,
- Stem Cell Research on the International Space Station. 2016, Presented at The World Stem Cell Summit,
- "Microgravity and Space Research." 2016, Presented at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Transplant Center,
- "Trends Toward the Development of a New Space Market Providing Satellite Based Telemedical Services." 1997, Presented at International Symposium on New Space Markets,
- "The Effects of Microgravity on Tissue-engineered Skeletal Muscle Expression of a Foreign Gene." 1999, Presented at Marine Biological Laboratory Meeting on Cellular Responses to Microgravity,
- "The Case for Korea in Space." 1999, Presented at US_Korea Conference on Science, Technology, Entrpreneurship and Leadership,
- "Update for STS-117 Flight Experiment." 2000, Presented at American Society for Gravitational and Space Biology Meeting,
- "Comparison of Single Rescuer CPR with the Kendall Cardiovent Device to Standard Two Person CPR in Simulated Microgravity." 2002, Presented at 73rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Airway Management in Microgravity: A Comparison of Traditional Endotracheal Intubation and the Combitube." 2002, Presented at 73rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace medical Association,
- "Is Prophylactic Vena Caval Filter Placement Beneficial in Acute Spinal Cord Injury." 2009, Presented at 56th Annual Meeting of the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Medical Association,
- "Evaluation of an Unrestrained CPR Method in Microgravity." 2004, Presented at Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Evaluation of an Automated Compression Device for CPR in Microgravity." 2005, Presented at 76th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Surgical Skills of the Spacesurgeon." 2006, Presented at 77th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Renoprotective Effects of N-Acetylcystine in Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery - A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Control Trials." 2008, Presented at Caritas Christi Annual Research Day,
- "Estimating and Managing the Risk of Appendicitis for a Human Mars Mission." 2007, Presented at 78th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "An Evaluation of Pilot Medical Certification Considerations in Lung Transplant Recipients." 2013, Presented at 84th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace medical Association,
- "Surgical Skills for an Exploration-Class Mission: An Assessment of Needs and Training Requirements." 2009, Presented at 80th Annual Scientific Meeting of th Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Tissue Engineered Skeletal Muscle Myofibers Can Directly "sense" Gravitational Force Changes." 1999, Presented at Center for Advanced Studies in the Space Life Sciences Workshop,
- "The Effects of Microgravity on the Expression of a Foreign Protein in Tissue-engineered Skeletal Muscle." 1999, Presented at MD/PhD Program Retreat; Brown Medical School,
- "Space Medicine in the 21st Century: Commercial & Governmental Opportunities." 2013, Presented at Silicon Valley Space Business Roundtable,
- "Tissue Engineering & Gene Therapy Technologies for Countering Spaceflight Induced Muscle Wasting." 2000, Presented at First Annual Willy Z. Sadeh Memorial Lecture; Colorado State University,
- "Stepping Stones to Mars: Surgical Issues for a Human Mars Mission." 2010, Presented at Surgical Grand Rounds, St. Luke's Hospital and Health Network,
- "Surgical Issues for a Future Human Mars Mission." 2008, Presented at Newton-Wellesley Hospital,
- "Surgical Issues for a Future Human Mars Mission." 2008, Presented at Surgical Grand Rounds, Baystate Medical Center,
- "Surgical Issues for a Future Human Mars Mission." 2007, Presented at St. Elizabeth's Medial Center,
- "Going to Mars." 2004, Presented at Civil Air Patrol Northeast Region Conference,
- "Advances in Cardiac Tissue Engineering and Gene Therapy." 2010, Presented at Surgical Grand Rounds, St. Elizabeth's Medial Center,
- "Mission to Mars: Surgical Issues for Long-duration Human Space Travel." 2011, Presented at UCLA Surgery Grand Rounds, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA,
- "hTEE for the High-Risk Cardiac Patient." 2013, Presented at 33rd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the International Society of Heart & Lung Transplantation,
- "Comparison of Combitube and iLMA for Unrestrained Emergency Airway Management in Microgravity by Novice Intubationists." 2003, Presented at 74th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Evaluation of Medical Care and Transportation Issues at a Simulated Artic Mars Base." 2004, Presented at 75th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association,
- "Growing Utilization of IVC Filter Placement From 2001 - 2005: Analysis of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample." 2009, Presented at Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 37th Annual Symposium,
- "5 Year Trends and Mortality Rates in Open vs. Percutaneous MAZE Procedures: Opportunities for Cardiac Surgeons in Treating Atrill Fibrillation." 2011, Presented at American College of Surgeons 97th Annual Clinical Congress,
- "Heart Transplant and MCS Surgery and Training in the United States." 2013, Presented at Department of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery, Seoul National University,
- "Skeletal and Cardiac Muscle Tissue-Engineering for in vitro Modeling on Earth and Space." 2016, Presented at 9th Annual Translational to Clinical (T2C) Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference Program,
- "Ex-Vivo Lung Perfusion: What is the Evidence?." 2016, Presented at Current Concepts in Repiratory Care,