Devina Purmessur, PhD
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Dorothy Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, Room 012L
473 W 12th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S., University of Sheffield UK, 2001
- M.S., University of Nottingham UK, 2003
- Ph.D., University of Manchester UK, 2008
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Arnold and Madaleine Penner 2nd Annual Musculoskeletal Repair and Regeneration Symposium Young Investigator Award, NY (2013)
- Young Investigator-Member at Large for the Orthopaedic Research Society (2013-2015)
- Rising Star/ New Investigator at the ORS PSRS 3rd International Philadelphia Spine Research Symposium, Thomas Jefferson University, PA (2015)
RESEARCH AREAS – Purmessur Spinal Therapeutics Lab (Spine Research Institute) (https://stl.engineering.osu.edu/)
- Spinal Disorders; Translational 3D and Animal Model Systems; Intervertebral Disc; Developmental biology; Mechanobiology; Molecular, Cell & Tissue Engineering;
- Graduate student research opportunities for Fall 2018
Dr. Purmessur’s research interests lie in understanding the pathophysiology of spinal disorders specifically examining discogenic back pain as an organ system; how the IVD and surrounding microenvironment (cellular, biochemical and mechanical) in development, growth and aging influence disease pathogenesis and pain with a focus on neurovascular ingrowth and developing suitable in vitro and clinically relevant in vivo animal models for clinical translation of therapeutic strategies. She has collaborations across departments and colleges within Ohio State which include Dr. William Marras, Professor in Integrated systems engineering and Director of the Spine Research Institute, Immunologist Dr. Megan Ballinger in the Department of Internal Medicine, clinicians in the Department of Orthopedics Drs. Safdar Khan, and Elizabeth Yu, and Veterinary neurosurgeon Dr. Sarah Moore. Dr. Purmessur’s work has received support either as a Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator from the National Institutes’ of Health, The Orthopedic Research Education Fund and the AO Foundation.
- Wiet, M.G.; Piscioneri, A.; Khan, S.N.; Ballinger, M.N. et al., 2017, "Mast Cell-Intervertebral disc cell interactions regulate inflammation, catabolism and angiogenesis in Discogenic Back Pain.." Sci Rep 7, no. 1, 12492 - 12492.
- Walter,B,A; Purmessur,D; Moon,A; Occhiogrosso,J; Laudier,D,M; Hecht,A,C; Iatridis,J,C, 2016, "REDUCED TISSUE OSMOLARITY INCREASES TRPV4 EXPRESSION AND PRO-INFLAMMATORY CYTOKINES IN INTERVERTEBRAL DISC CELLS." EUROPEAN CELLS & MATERIALS 32, 123-136 - 123-136.
- Lai, A.; Moon, A.; Purmessur, D.; Skovrlj, B. et al., 2016, "Annular puncture with tumor necrosis factor-alpha injection enhances painful behavior with disc degeneration in vivo.." Spine J 16, no. 3, 420-431 - 420-431.
- Lai, A.; Moon, A.; Purmessur, D.; Skovrlj, B. et al., 2015, "Assessment of functional and behavioral changes sensitive to painful disc degeneration.." J Orthop Res 33, no. 5, 755-764 - 755-764.
- Illien-Juenger,Svenja; Lu,Young; Purmessur,Devina; Mayer,Jillian,E; Walter,Benjamin,A; Roughley,Peter,J; Qureshi,Sheeraz,A; Hecht,Andrew,C; Iatridis,James,C, 2014, "Detrimental effects of discectomy on intervertebral disc biology can be decelerated by growth factor treatment during surgery: a large animal organ culture model." SPINE JOURNAL 14, no. 11, 2724-2732 - 2724-2732.
- Guterl, C.C.; Torre, O.M.; Purmessur, D.; Dave, K. et al., 2014, "Characterization of mechanics and cytocompatibility of fibrin-genipin annulus fibrosus sealant with the addition of cell adhesion molecules.." Tissue Eng Part A 20, no. 17-18, 2536-2545 - 2536-2545.
- Abbott, R.D.; Purmessur, D.; Monsey, R.D.; Brigstock, D.R. et al., 2013, "Degenerative grade affects the responses of human nucleus pulposus cells to link-N, CTGF, and TGFβ3.." J Spinal Disord Tech 26, no. 3, E86-E94 - E86-E94.